Wednesday, November 4, 2009

ABC :|

I am so terrible in naming things, why are titles so difficult to come by? I must have got this gene from both my parents who have terrible names and have thus assigned such a terrible name to me. I mean I have a million namesakes for god sake! I am sure if I ever have babies ( the if existing because a person willing to impregnate me would be hard to come by) I would name them A,B and C or maybe 1,2,3 in this way I’ll never run out names and if I marry Brad Pitt and adopt a child from every country I'll name them similarly to their adoption location. But then again I’m terrible in geography and people will call me Jolie cat.

That day I chanced upon a certain photograph… one of those random photos pretty people take of other pretty people doing ‘cool’ things. The photograph bore an attractive girl ‘mushing’ her even more attractive boyfriend, which is perfectly normal, causes a slight barfing sound but then again bearable. But the girl was holding a book in her hand while committing such a frivolous act. The book, I knew from the cover was The Catcher in the Rye. It’s a cover which aptly represents the book, a white cover, a white representing blankness not purity and three stripes at the diagonal corners.
A plea to all the pretty girls with impeccable smiles in the world show some respect to the book which has kept the other half of the population alive. This book is not a book, not fiction, but a way of life. Holden has taught many to tolerate the phoniness around and it is very difficult to bear when Holden is used to accentuate one’s phoniness. I know the book has a cult status and reading or flicking it through amidst a mass will lend an extra ‘cool’ (starting with a ‘k’) quotient but I think James Joyce’s Ulysses would do just the same.
I never really understood the concept of making a statement by reading a book in public. I have observed a certain friend of mine read books only in buses and the other day I actually saw a girl reading a book in a theatre, under the dimmed lights… I have proof.
To people who are intent on public reading please do not read Chetan Bhagat, Paulo Coelho, Sidney Sheldon and Jeffery Archer. I don’t think it would help in your impression building.
PS: which is cooler will you please advise? An iPod or a glossy story books cover?
PPS: does it not hurt your eyes? I mean I’m spectacled.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention Self Help books in that list of books one shouldn't read in public. That day I saw a man reading 101 Ways of Improving Your Image in Public(it was something like that).

That man was not me. :|

P.S.- iPod of course.

P.P.S.- I don't wear glasses (you know). So my eyes always hurt.

Anonymous said...

Did I just read Paulo Coelho?
I decided to stab you once but now it is twice. In any way you will be murdered. That is it :|

Public reading disgusts me as much. Actually 'we' are busy seeing things around so reading publicly just doesn't happen.
Public affection is another thing which is on my hit-list. :|

Anonymous said...

sadly I happen to know the woman who was reading(or whatever you call it) the catcher in the rye.

shreya, it's actually amazing that you can post in your blog, write things by just looking at one picture in somebodys album in fb.

once again I happen to know the girl who was trying to read a book in a theatre. and about the one in the bus, could just be me.

people read in public when they are stuck at a place,bored with no choice, or has to finish a book by that very night.

and I always make it a point to not read paulo coelho, chetan bhagat, archer and the like in public. I choose my books, I never forget to flaunt my ipod; for all of this would give me the image I so want to get!

duh.

shreya. you write well. But it's high time. get a life. the kind of life you ask everyone to get.

and never group Pius and Suranjanas in one post. They are different people. very.

p.s: I will use names. I have every right to :|

Ritwik Goswami said...

I used to read Enid Blyton while making train journeys between Calcutta and the Jharkhand village I grew up in.

And I do not read anymore. Neither in public. Nor at home.

Anonymous said...

*or have to finish

sheep:: said...

@ somwrita: i do not have a life. sadly but truly i agree, i sought it many times in esplanade but somehow it always hides itself from me.
i promise the day i find it i'll stop writing about others... but my love if you tell me to write about dusty afternoons and reviews of Beckett's plays i will do that with delight.
@ arjob: do you know that man? can he lend me the boook?
@ipshita: you like Paulo coelho? my apologies... genuinely... thank god this breed exists. Paulo coelho while suggesting everybody should renounce all material possessions in this world actually gets richer with each book

@ bouchor: i read Jeeves. sometimes even Nancy Drew. :|

Olive Oyl said...

jeeves is my domain. dare not meddle with it.

and i found somrwita's comment very funny and entertaining.

Anonymous said...

@ shreya di Well two of his 12 books suggest departure with the material world...read his latest, there's cannes...there's dollars...there's bikini babes and there's everything material he forgot to mention in those two books :|

Unknown said...

@ olive : i will never use wodehouse again, i will restrict myself to chetan bhagat
somwrita IS entertainment. i love her because of it.
@ ipshita: i meddle not with people. i just love procrastinating :P

Olive Oyl said...

procrastinating means to delay or put off doing something.

Anonymous said...

'somrwita is entertainment' is so rakhi sawant-ish :|

duh.

sheep:: said...

i believe anonymous would be you somwrita. i love rakhi sawant. she is blessed by the hormone gods. i am not well not in the right places at least. :(

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com